WELCOME

Mad love to all of those who share their opinions freely :)

Tuesday, November 13, 2012


  In the show In The Red and Brown Water, the main character was Oya who was trying to find her place in the projects. She was in love with another important character Shango who was trouble and never fully committed to her before he then left and joined the military. Ogun Size was in love with Oya and when Shango left, he swept her off her feet. Elegba was a trouble maker and was a neighbor of Oya. Oya wants  to have a baby desperately. After her Aunt Elegua made her feel a certain way, she tried even harder with Ogun. Oya was going crazy sitting around watching all of her friends get pregnant and have children. Shango came back into the picture and started having an affair with Oya, but soon after, Shango got Shun pregnant and that sent Oya off the edge. She cut her ear off and i think died at the end.
          I think the most important part in the play was when Elegba had his son. It is important to me because he is younger than Oya and he has been around Oya for most of his life. Oya wants to have a baby so when Elegba doesnt have anywhere to go, she takes him in so she can have a baby too in a way. She doesnt ever have a baby even though she desires it greatly. I’m sure it made her feel bad that she couldn’t have a baby even more. I felt bad for Ogun because he was trying really hard to do everything he could to provide for Oya, but she was just wanted  to sulk in her own misery. That is, until she divorced him and set him free.
       The acting and singing was extremely good, but the most compelling aspect to the performance would hands down have to be the mood. When you can feel the emotions that are trying to be portrayed while you sit in the audience, it adds immensely. During the dancing scenes, especially the one in church, I felt myself smiling and moving with the music. I don't think i have anything to critic however, I felt like towards the end, the play drug on for a tad bit too long. It felt like it got old after a while. The ending was weird too. She cut her ear off because he always used to "caress it". It was interesting but weird at the same time.
       This was not my first time seeing a live performance. I did like this one and I am a big fan of plays and musicals live or not. The one main difference that i noticed, and I'm sure it was just because of the way it was written, but the characters spoke the things that should have been in parenthesis. It added comedy and I liked it. The music in this one was more alive it seemed than others that  I have encountered in the past.
                                              

3 comments:

  1. Good review. I like what you said about Oya bringing in Elegba so that she can be a part of raising the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought that the acting was very good and full of emotion. I think that each character was unique and the actors played them well. The music and dancing were my favorite part! I smiled, laughed, and enjoyed watching it. This play was much different than ones that I have seen before but I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also thought that the mood in this play was very strong. It was easily to feel the emotions of the characters yourself. I felt the same way during the church scene as well. That was definitely my favorite part! I found it interesting how the characters would speak the words that would normally be placed as an action in parenthesis in a play too.

    ReplyDelete